Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Uluru – On top of the World

I know people have different opinions on the climbing of Uluru so this is not a right or wrong post and my views are irrelevant.  Tony, Stitch and a few of the other guys that were with us decided to climb and I must says their photo’s were wonderful. I'm sorry for what’s going to be photo overload but it’s really hard to get a handle on how huge this rock is.  Off the top of my head and I could be wrong but I think it’s about a 9km walk around the base.

DSC_5943  

Empty car park at the start of the climb and also the walks around Uluru. At this stage the rock was closed to climbers.  The picture below is very deceiving  it really doesn't show just how steep it is.  It’s a steep little climb up to the hand rails.

DSC_5950

cl1

The first climbers of the day.

cl2

Tony said once they reached that top bit, it dipped then went up again, he said you thought you had reached the top but had not,  it was never ending

cl3

There's always one idiot that strays off the track, seriously what a dickhead this was so steep.

DSC_6077

From here on  are Stitchy’s photo’s

P1050768

P1050770

yep it’s straight up

P1050754

P1050752

P1050730

No where near the top just having a rest.

P1050735

 P1050756

The next few photo’s taken by David Andrews.

IMG_7422

IMG_7438

IMG_7445

IMG_7462

IMG_7433

IMG_7417

A few more of Stitchy’s

P1050761

P1050765

You can see our trailer from here it’s the biggest vehicle in the car park. Lucy waited patiently for her dad to climb back down.

DSC_6220

Everyone had a very enjoyable morning and it was only 12pm.

3 comments:

Libby said...

Great post. I loved Uluru - didn't expect to love it so much. We opted not to climb it but instead walked around the base - which took over 4 hours. We also flew (not quite) overhead in a helicopter. It amazes me that with so many health & Safety concerns that people are still allowed to climb the rock these days!

Jackie said...

I know Libby it was scary watching some very unfit people climb. I was watching some through my zoom lens thinking they wouldnt make it.

Ann said...

Oh my... the photos are amazing!

And what a spectacular view ♥