Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Exercise, It should be a dirty word

 

320216_10151038701016409_1638178810_n

My body was getting ready to evict me.   In my younger days I was always sporty, swimming and softball in the summer.  Hockey in the winter, throw into that basketball, swimming training nearly every weekday and aerobics several times a week.  Then I joined the army, off we would go on 3 and 5 km runs, forced marches through the streets of Mosman in our gas gear or with backpacks and boots (sidenote my army boots once worn in were the most comfortable shoes that I have ever owned)  I would shake my head in disbelief some of the girls who were doing recruit training how unfit they were and how easily they would give up on a run.  Which would require us to turn around and get them.  That was easy for me as I had wanted to join the army since I was 13 years old and my neighbour who had joined told me to make sure I was fit when I started basic training.

The army had a  fantastic social life once you got posted to your unit, cheap alcohol and lots of parties.  We would get to work at 6.30am just in time for our run.  You could tell who went out the night before as they would be the ones to fall out and be throwing up on the side of the road.  If truth be know a lot of the time we would not get home until 5.30am from the nightclubs time for a quick shower then straight to work.  The army not known for its imagination and was predictable offered running  and touch football with volleyball thrown in every now and then.  I hated running and absolutely hated touch football.  If you played you were definitely in our CO’s good books.  I definitely was not in his good books especially after I roughly touched him and sent him to hospital.  Actually it was more like a shoulder charge of which I was very proud I really didn't like the man, he was such a jerk. 

As the years went by I got overweight and very unfit.  A few months ago I just wasn't feeling good at all and thought it was time to go to the doctors for a check up.  My blood sugar levels were borderline, I was still anaemic but my cholesterol was good.  I had reached a very heavy weight , my feet and ankles pained all the time, I suffered more headaches than usual, my back hurt all the time, I really felt that my body was falling apart.

We have always eaten fairly healthy foods and didn't often have junk or processed food in the house but I didn't exercise.  I had come across Cyndi O’Meara’s website Changing Habits at the beginning of the year and started on her 21 day healthy eating plan.  I then started really getting interested in wholefoods etc.  I had read Heather’s beautiful blog Beauty that moves  for years and did her wholesome food workshop, she also offers a vegan workshop which I would like to do down the track.  I found some wonderful healthy eating blogs you can see some in my sidebar  I also read David Gillespie’s books Sweet Poison and The Sweet Poison Quit Plan  His website is here.

We were eating better than we had ever eaten before but without exercise my weight stayed the same, then I started hearing and reading about Cyndi O'Meara's  HCG Protocol.  So I bit the bullet, got the drops and started the plan.  The results were immediate and incredible, I lost 17kgs in 46days and have kept it off.  I started round 2 without my success but that was my fault my mindset wasn't right at the time,.  We had a lot of functions on and it was all too hard this time.  I still lost a bit more weight and stopped the drops after twenty something days.  You have to have a break between drops if you don't they don't work so I will start again after Christmas and I've still maintained my weight loss.  I had the pleasure of meeting Cyndi at the Real Food Festival in Maleny a few weeks ago.  What a lovely lady she is, she was so busy and with so many people around she gave me ten minutes of her time and we chatted about the Protocol she is so inspirational.  I'm really excited about going on it again.

Cindi O'Meara

I went back to my doctor who was sceptical about the HCG Protocol to get another blood test, he was astounded by the results and was very happy, however suggested that I really need to start exercising, I tried to show some enthusiasm I really did.  I didn't need to buy new shoes I had those from the beginning of the year and had only worn them twice.

new shoes

So I begrudgingly started to walk,  I really don't like it, I'm waiting for that euphoric feeling that’s going to wash over my body and tell me “ wow I feel so great after I exercise”, well I don't.  I've been walking for two weeks now only missing two or three days, everything aches, is it possible after twenty years of being out of the army old injuries are reappearing.  My knees ache, the top of my right foot hurts, last night it was my calf muscle, I'm sure I'm not imagining these.  I must admit I'm not puffing up that last little hill before home.  Last Friday Tony and I went early to wait for Lucy at the PCYC so we walked around the oval 7 times I had been up early that morning but that night I was exhausted I haven't been that tired for ages it was a body tired I think I ended up in bed at 9pm that’s so not me.

Walking regularly posed another problem, clothing.  Apart from my shoes I had nothing to exercise in,   I was walking in my denim three quarter pants but the problem there was I have dropped two sizes and you cant wear them with a belt so they kept falling down. I only owned three pairs of socks and no T Shirts.  So yesterday I did the unthinkable I bought two pairs of leggings as well as socks and some T Shirts.  Oh my goodness, I have never worn leggings and will only wear them in the dark as I do not want people seeing my jiggly bits, lucky we walk at night.  I also bought some trousers and will get rid of the large pants and jeans.

DSC_9583

Plenty of socks now.

My family's been fantastic, they are so supportive.  Tony walks with me most nights and Tess well she is like the food nazi.  God help me if I go to eat the wrong thing but the great thing is how aware she is becoming about food.  Lucy well she’s supportive just don't give her anything healthy to eat I didn't tell her the chocolate brownies were made from dates the other day.  Tess and I sometimes walk along the Maroochy River which is lovely of a morning then we go to our new favourite haunt for breakfast.  We found a wonderful cafe called Husk and Honey  in Nambour, it serves gluten free food and it is delicious,  I had been trying to get Tess to eat there for years but she never would then one day I asked her again and she did and loved it. We eat there once or twice a week.

Anyway better get moving I have  busy day

Bye for now

Jackie

2 comments:

The Old Dairy said...

WOW, Good on you, you should be so proud of your self. I think I may have to look into this myself as the results sound amazing....
Mandy

Libby said...

Congrats on the weight loss and on taking up exercise, even if you don't like it. I love going for walks and exercising :-). I get most of my workout pants from Target - I have above knee and 3/4 and long pants (depending on the weather).
Here's to hoping you discover a love of exercise soon. I imagine it will be hard to keep up if you don't enjoy it.